The City Council of Iloilo, in their 11th Regular Session held last March 17, 2015 enacted Regulation Ordinance No. 2015-162, entitled “An ordinance regulating noise pollution in the City of Iloilo.”
Highlights of the said ordinance are as follows: “Section 3.1: Classification of General Areas:
- Class AA – section or contiguous area which requires quietness, such as areas within 100 meters from school sites, nursery, schools, court buildings, hospitals, churches, and special homes for the aged.
- Class A – section or contiguous area which is primarily used for residential purposes.
- Class B – section or contiguous area which is primarily a commercial area.
- Class C – section primarily reserved as light industrial area.
- Class D – section which is primary reserves as a heavy industrial area.
Section 3.2: The maximum allowable noise levels in general areas shall be:
|CATEGORY||DAYTIME||MORNING & EVENING||NIGHT TIME|
Section 3.2.2: The division of 24-hr period shall be as follows:
|Morning||5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.|
|Daytime||8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.|
|Evening||6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|Nighttime||10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.|
The ordinance also states in Section 4.2, 4.2(a) and 4.2(b) that in case of barangay and fiestas, family celebrations, those concerned “must comply with the ambient noise standards as set forth in Section 3” of the ordinance.
Also, based on the ordinance, it is now prohibited, among other things, to use sound reproduction device (i.e. phonograph or sound amplifying system) “to attract attention to any performance, show, sale, display or merchandise in connection with any commercial or business enterprise…. IN FRONT OR OUTSIDE OF ANY BUSINESS BUILDING, PLACES OR PREMISES ABUTTING ON OR ADJACENT TO A PUBLIC STREET, PARK OR PLACE,…. except the incidental sound for which a permit has been issued”.
Penalties and sanctions, either fines and/or imprisonment, should be meted to person found guilty violating this ordinance. Effectivity of this ordinance shall be ten (10) days from publication in a local newspaper of general circulation in Western Visayas.
This ordinance was sponsored by Councilor Plaridel C. Nava II, co-sponsored by Councilor Lady Julie Grace L. Baronda, and duly seconded by Councilors Lyndon V. Acap and Rodel F. Agado.